With that title, I've put some pressure on this article. But I'm not backing down.
My chef brother makes a truly exceptional granola. You won't find a better recipe. Gluten free, sugar free, well balanced and outrageously delicious. It's one of the main products I miss from our retail store.
However, the full Cereal Killer recipe is a little long. I'd never make it at home. It runs about 13 ingredients deep. So let's trim it down for domestic convenience. Without losing any of the flavour, fibre or protein.
The original recipe uses buckwheat. Because it's 100% gluten free. And that helps market the product. However, I think buckwheat is the accountant of cereal grains. It's safe, conservative and boring. You'd hate to be pinned in the corner of a cocktail party with buckwheat. I mean, who classifies themselves as gluten free and then puts wheat in their own name?
Rolled oats, on the other hand, are a good time. They're outgoing, attractive and reckless. They're gluten free too. But in Australia, they never label themselves as such because they hang out in processing plants with the gluten crowd, barley and wheat. Guilty by association.
So this recipe uses rolled oats. I love oats. If you're celiac or dearth of personality, then swap in buckwheat.
Cereal Killer Granola Recipe
- Takes 10 minutes prep
- 30 minutes baking
- Makes 3 big trays
- Rolled oats - 500g (celiac swap for buckwheat)
- Cashews - 400g (can swap for other nuts)
- Pepitas - 100g
- Cinnamon - 2 big teaspoons
- Coconut flakes - 150g (shredded is ok)
- Maple syrup - 150ml
- Coconut oil - 150ml
- Optional - Dried apple - 200g, diced small
- Preheat oven to 177C (or 350F)
- Combine rolled oats, cashews, pepitas and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl
- Melt the coconut oil and add half of it (75ml) to the bowl, with half the maple syrup (75ml)
- Mix well and pour ingredients onto flat baking pans that are lined with baking paper - make sure it’s thinly spread out for even baking
- Bake for 18 minutes
- Take out of the oven, let cool briefly and pour back into mixing bowl, adding all the remaining ingredients
- Mix well and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes
- Let tray(s) cool on kitchen counter and get ready to stuff your face
- Enjoy at room temperature and store in a sealed container