Don’t spend your life savings on fancy, overpriced, foul tasting detox or cleansing products. You don’t have to! Here are my top six tips on how to detox cheaply and easily…
How To Detox Naturally In 6 Easy Steps
- Start your day with a glass of warm water and a big squeeze of lemon to help flush out unwanted toxins. Or you can try lemon essential oil in hot water if that’s easier. Citrus essential oils are great detoxifying agents and help to rid the body of Xenoestrogens (substances that function like ostrogen but are not, and can throw both male and female hormones out of whack). This will also help keep your bowels moving along nicely ;)
- Choose lighter foods. Try including more smoothies, salads, lightly steamed veggies (especially from the cruciferous vegetable family- broccoli, collards, kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts), fruit, chicken and fish! Eat organic where possible to reduce toxin load.
- Reduce stimulants and drugs, such as caffeine, nicotine, and try to reduce alcohol intake. Reduce caffeine intake by switching your regular large coffee for a green, chai or herbal tea. Reduce alcohol intake by sitting on that one comforting glass of red all night long, rather than downing the whole bottle!
- Add a cleansing juice to your daily routine. Rather than reaching for diet soft drink or coffee when the afternoon slump hits, head to your local juice bar and pick up a liver-loving juice of beetroot, carrot, celery, ginger and lemon. Or try a green cleansing combo of celery, cucumber, spinach, green apple and mint.
- Make easy switches. Swap white potato for sweet potato, white rice for quinoa, white bread for low-gluten spelt or fermented sourdough, avoid sweetened yoghurts and opt for plain, organic varieties. Choose raw cacao drinks over a block of chocolate. There are plenty of great swaps you can make to optimise your diet without feeling deprived.
- Drink plenty of clean filtered water. Aim for 6-8 glasses a day.
Do you have a natural detox method that's not on the list? Share it in the comments below!