Our Nanna used to make the meanest Anzac Biscuits, so we're pretty chuffed to replicate her recipe without any of the sugar, white flour, golden syrup or butter! This recipe is a real crowd pleaser and can be adapted to be vegan or gluten free. So you can keep even the fussiest health food nut happy.
Clean Anzac Biscuit Recipe
- Spelt flour - 1/2 cup
- Coconut flakes - 1/2 cup
- Coconut sugar - 1/2 cup
- Rolled oats - 1/2 cup
Separate Dry Ingredients:
- Bicarb soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Warm water - 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil - 1/2 cup
- Raw honey - 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- Pre heat fan forced oven to 150C (302F)
- Combine & mix dry ingredients in large bowl
- In separate small container, combine bicarb soda and water
- Place wet ingredients in small pot on a stove and bring to boil
- Take off the stove and while boiling, add BiCarb/Water combo, and stir together
- Add the syrup to dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon
- Spray canned oil onto a baking tray and place a strip of baking paper
- Scoop two tablespoons of batter into an egg ring / cookie ring and press down hard with spoon - hard!
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Practice some patience and self-control (we know it's hard when they taste and smell so good) and let the biscuits cool on cake rack for another 10 minutes
- Now it's time to overindulge in biscuits and baking pride
Gluten Free and Vegan Options
To make the recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free oats or buckwheat flakes to replace the oats. And use coconut flour to replace the spelt.
If you're after a vegan version, simply swap the honey for maple syrup.
Next Level Ice Cream Sandwich
Want to pimp your Anzac Biscuits and turn them into delicious ice-cream sandwiches, without loading up on sugar-laden, dairy-filled ice cream? Then try our Cashew Cream Recipe. It's to die for. All you need to do is add a few scoops in between two biscuits and BOOM!
image credit: Veggie Mama (we love you Stacey)