Jam is delicious and has fruit in it so it's healthy, right? Wrong, it's loaded with sugar. Most recipes call for an equal parts fruit to sugar ratio! You might as well eat a family size bag of lollies.
Jam is mainly made up of just those two ingredients making it easy to convert into a healthy, clean, paleo, vegan, and refine sugar-free version. My version is made up of berries, chia seeds, and a couple of tablespoons of maple/honey/coconut sugar.
Berries are high in antioxidants that helps improve your health and protects your skin and hair. Chia seeds thicken up the mixture and are full of fibre and omega-3 fatty acid. Both keep you fuller for longer and omega-3 help reduces the risk of heart disease. Your sweeter of choice brings out the sweetness of the fruit but it is optional. Whip this recipe up and try it on clean toast, scones, in tart shells, added to smoothies and stirred through porridge.
3 Ingredient Chia Jam Recipe
- Berries (fresh or frozen defrosted) - 2 cups
- Chia seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Maple syrup - 2 tablespoons
- Blend all ingredients together
- Raw Option; pour it into a jar let sit in the fridge for a few hours to thicken up
- Cook Option; pour it into a small sauce pan and bring to boil
- Lower heat and let shimmer for 15 minutes or until thicken
- Store in a jar in the fridge