Bulletproof coffee was created, trademarked and brilliantly marketed by Dave Asprey. Asprey claims that his fat coffee concoction stimulates brain function, can lead to weight loss and extends the period your caffeine stimulated.
Basically, you add fat to your coffee. Specifically grass fed butter (or yak-butter). It slows the absorption so you're feeling energised for longer. The medium-chain triglyceride oil (found in coconut oil) are said to fuel your brain.
The Original Bulletproof Recipe
- Brew 1 cup of coffee of filtered coffee
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of MCT Oil
- Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
Not huge advocates of cow's breast milk that's been churned, we created a dairy free version that actually tastes better. Cacao butter is the perfect replacement since it brings it's own energising properties, plus flavour and fat.
The Bulletproof Vegan
- Filtered black coffee - 1 cup
- Cacao butter - 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon (start with half a tablespoon and work your way up)
- Blend together and enjoy the caramel coloured supercharging
I don't get into the daily bulletproof habit like a lot of Paleo Pete's do with the traditional recipe. I probably enjoy our vegan version once a fortnight and that infrequency means it has a real impact on me. Have a try.