Even though Australians barely celebrate Halloween, I let it inspire me in the kitchen all year round. Which isn't easy to do given pumpkin spice isn't sold here and it can be tricky to get your hands on pumpkin puree. But I need more adversity than that to prevent me from whipping up this recipe.
Love these 1979 Cookies. If you don't get the reference then you're either 18 or we can't be friends :). #greatsong
1979 Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
- Pumpkin purée - 1 1/2 cups
- Almond meal* - 2 1/2 cups
- Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Allspice - 1 teaspoon
- Ground ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla bean paste - 1/2 teaspoon (1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
- Coconut oil - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Maple syrup - 1-3 tablespoons (honey would also work) depending on you
- Add all dry ingredients to bowl and mix
- In a separate bowl mix together pumpkin purée, coconut oil and sweetener and mix
- Add wet to dry and mix well. If too wet add in some more almond meal
- Spoon heaped teaspoons of mixture onto baking tray and bake in 160 degree fan-forced oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly brown on the outside and still soft in the middle
- Let cool and devour
*Tip: you can also use a mixture of almond meal and buckwheat flour for a denser but less crumbly version.
What's on your list of trick or treats?