Did you know that the sole reason McDonalds adds onion and pickles to its cheese burgers is so they can call it food? Otherwise they would have to classify it as a confectionery. How do you think the pickle feels? That’s like your parents letting you go to the cinema as a teen and your mum saying you have to take your little brother too otherwise your helping dad clean the pool.
Here is a get pickle quick scheme I use when I need a fast addition to a dish...
Homemade Pickled Vegetables
- Apple cider vinegar - 250ml
- Water - 250ml
- Maple syrup - 60ml
- Caraway seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Sea salt - 2 teaspoons
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to boil
- Prepare desired vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, radish, cucumber)
- Add vegetable to boiling liquid, let sit until it cools down
My Serving Suggestions
Enjoy tossed through a fresh summer salad with watermelon and mint. Or mango, spinach and mixed herbs. Do a selection of different spiced pickled vegetable and pair with a range of dips to build your own mezze platter.