Roast Veg and lentils, a heart warmer in winter and a life saver in summer, make a big batch and tuck in 3/4 times a week for dinner and lunch.
A lot of people don’t know this but the desert gets very chilly in the winter months. s growing up in Alice Springs it was not uncommon to slip on some uggs, pour a cuppa and pre heat the oven for dinner. Carrots, potato, parsnip, onion all hearty stables, and tasted just as good the next day with a lil spinach and balsamic dressing drizzled on it. Fast forward 15 years and I’ve hardly changed the recipe.
Pre-heat the oven, season some veg, set a timer, enjoy a cuppa’.
Lentil As Anything
- Takes 10 minutes prep
- 30 minutes to cook
- Makes 2 servings
- Carrot - 1 medium
- Beetroot - 1 medium
- Kiphler potato - 1 medium
- Red onion - 1/4
- Kale leaves - 3
- Choice of lentils (canned) - 1 cup
- Garlic cloves - 4
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoon
- Preheat oven 215 degrees
- Wash, peel, rewash, and chop beetroot, carrot, potato, onion, and garlic
- Place all the ingredients in a salad bowl and toll with the olive oil, plus salt and pepper
- Then line all the ingredients on a tray with baking paper
- Place in oven for 25 minutes
- Remove stem from kale and discard (or put aside to juice), massage and chop leaves, set aside
- Rinse off lentils under cold running water, set aside
- Remove roast veggies when cooked and let cool on a bench for 20 minutes, then rest in a fridge for 30 minutes to completely stop the cooking process (do not cover as they will sweat and turn rancid)
- When all ingredients are chilled out, combine and season to taste
Feel free to soak and cook your own lentils (or any pulse variant).
If buying canned, take a look at the ingredient list, anything that has more than Lentils, Water, or Salt shouldn’t be in your shopping basket.
Braising a bit of brisket or pulled beef with a lil mustard turns this vintage dish into a vogue delight.
Or perhaps a salsa verde and some fresh caught baked white fish.