I'm not normally one for apple smoothies. Not really sure why. Just prefer bananas and berries as the creamy base. Pineapple and mango too. But after visiting the original Liquiteria (an iconic juice bar) in New York I was inspired by their seasonal Apple Crisp recipe. I found theirs a touch sweet and I think whey protein powder isn't healthy but everything else was on point. Detoxing apple cider vinegar is particularly clever.
Of course, I had to rename our version. The American Pie. Hopefully the image of Jason Biggs in a kitchen doesn't make this less enticing.
The American Pie Smoothie
- Makes 1 serving
- Takes 3 minutes
- Apple - 1 (preferably remove core)
- Spinach - 2 cups
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Almond butter - 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla protein powder - 1/2 scoop
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Almond milk - 1 cup
- Optional - Ice - 1/2 cup
- Optional - Cayenne powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Remove apple core and blend for 30-40 seconds
Cayenne is optional but it compliments the sweet ingredients. Plus it boosts your metabolism and immune system.
image credit: Girl Makes Food