I just brought a $200 food processor and it's got me smashing out all sorts of clean snacks. Few of them are better than these peanut butter cookies.
Beyond being sugar and gluten free, the reason I love these is because of the chickpeas. I'm not sure if you realise this but chickpeas are unbelievably nutritious. Beyond being a serious source of protein and fibre, their mineral content reads like kale. They're that good for you.
Not only that but we go hard on the cacao nibs here as well. Most of the population are magnesium deficient, which means our nerves, enzymes and muscles don't function properly. If you're deficient you'll probably sleep poorly too. So if you want to avoid these plights, go hard on cacao, one of the best sources of magnesium on the planet.
Have I gotten rid of your guilt about all the raw honey and peanut butter in this recipe? I should have. These cookie balls are seriously good for you.
Peanut Butter Cookie Balls w/ Chickpeas
- Takes 20 minutes, including baking
- Makes 25 balls
- Chickpeas - 2 cans
- Peanut butter - 1 cup
- Raw honey - 3/4 cup
- Cacao nibs - 3/4 cup
- Vanilla paste - 4 teaspoons
- Sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees (347 F)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Add all the ingredients, including chickpeas, to a food processor
- Blend for a few minutes and scrape down the sides when needed
- If there was no oil in the peanut butter then you might need to add a few splashes of water - mixture should be pretty thick though
- Lay out baking trays and cover with baking paper
- Wet your hands with a splash of water and roll the mixture into small balls, placing on the paper
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool for five
- Take photos and indulge
Bonus points if you can make this recipe with a two week year old strapped to your front. When do the nominations for father of the year close anyway?