I've just finished reading the audiobook The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan. It was my favourite audiobook this year. Absolute game-changer. It's about prioritising the most important goal in your life and setting aside uninterrupted time every day to work on it. Be focused, achieve greatness. Sounds nice.
In search of optimum performance, one section goes into the importance of fuelling our brain. The hundreds of minor decisions and activities we perform each day drains us. Our mind fatigues. The authors, through studies, conclude that complex carbs and proteins are what our brain needs for energy.
So I'm trying to consciously eat more of those foods. Especially during the day when my mind needs it. My other goal, which I've been working on for months, is to reduce my meat consumption.
Enter the Chilli Con Veggie. As protein dense as any carnivorous meal and full of complex carbs. Beans and sweet potato for the win. With metabolism boosting peppers and antioxidant rich cinnamon as well. Yep, cinnamon.
Whip this up in bulk and enjoy for lunch all week or store in the freezer for a lazy day.
Mind Boosting Chilli Con Veggie Recipe
- Makes 4 servings
- Takes 30 minutes
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Brown onion – 1, finely chopped
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Sweet potato – small (size of your hand)
- Ground cumin – 1 tablespoon
- Cayenne pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon
- Jalapeños – 2, remove the seeds
- Lentils – 1 can (420g)
- Kidney beans – 1 can (420g)
- Diced tomato – 1 can (or 1 cup of really ripe)
- Tomato paste – 3 tablespoons
- Avocados – 2
- Baby spinach – to serve
- Coriander (cilantro) – ½ cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Finely dice onion and garlic, and chop the sweet potato up small
- Turn a pan onto medium heat and add coconut oil
- Then add onion, garlic and sweet potato, frying them until softened
- Dice Jalapeños and add to pan with salt, pepper and spices
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste to the pan, with water
- Simmer with no lid for 15 minutes
- Drain and rinse the beans and lentils, adding to the pot in the last few minutes
- Serve on top of spinach with avocado and coriander
Another way to enjoy this Chilli Con Veggie is scooped into 100% corn tortillas. With the same greens (avocado, spinach and coriander).
Thanks for the beautiful image Cookie + Kate. My chilli photos turned out darker than depression.