The ultimate energy ball. Coffee. Chocolate. Protein. Doesn't get any better. These will get you through any work day. Satisfying those caffeine and sweet tooth cravings that normally kick in mid morning and mid afternoon. Or in my case, all day.
I've gone with instant coffee here but you can use any version. Just add extra water for espresso or pod creations as you want lots of hot water to break down the pitted dates. The coffee will do the work for you. You'll see what I mean when you get involved.
Mocha Protein Ball Recipe
- Takes 10 minutes
- Makes 20 balls
- Cashews - 2 cups
- Rolled oats - 1 1/2 cups
- Instant coffee - 2 tablespoons
- Cocoa - 3 tablespoons
- Pitted dates - 1 1/2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1 tablespoon
- Boiling water - 1 cup
- You can use a strong cup of drip coffee or a 3-shot long black, but I like the powerful flavours (& caffeine) of instant coffee
- In your hot coffee (2 tablespoons instant + 1 cup boiling water), add the pitted dates so they soften
- Add the remaining ingredients to your food processor, then add the coffee/date combo
- Process for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides
- With damp hands, roll the balls onto baking trays with parchment paper
- The mixture should feel moist; if it's too sticky then add more oats, if it's too dry then add some extra water
- Put in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm
And if you've got time, then roll your mocha balls into a garnish. Shreddded coconut is hard to beat. Other options are diced peanuts, walnuts or pistachios. You can also dust them with a colourful superfood like matcha, turmeric or spirulina.